Tips to avoid distracted driving during festive season
Travelling during the festive season is never easy, whether you’re jetting off abroad or gearing up to head home to spend the festive break with friends or family: Think traffic jams, winter weather, then you add squirming kids “Are we there yet?” “I’m bored”, “stop kicking me!”, oh and “are we there yet?”
Distracted driving in any form is dangerous, driving with kids in the car can be overwhelming and the longer the drive, the more likely they will get bored and restless. Your top priority is their safety and the last thing you want to do is to ignore them. But although it’s important to take care of your kids’ needs, it’s more important to make sure they’re safe by keeping your attention on the road and avoiding distracted driving behaviours. To avoid distractions and help take some of the stress out of the situation, ensure devices are fully charged, favourite toys packed and you’ve downloaded a playlist of top tunes to keep everyone entertained to help prevent squabbles and make it a safe and more enjoyable journey.
And not forgetting those all important Sweets for the journey!
As much as I love chocolate and I do! For a long car journey and kids in the car I prefer to choose a mix of no mess, no fuss treats! Wine Gums, Sherbet Lemons, Pear Drops or Chocolate Eclairs.
Here’s a few more favourites
- Wine Gums: No mess, no fuss, if you’re looking for something chewy and fruit flavoured, then these are definitely the go-to sweet for you, with an assortment of flavours to pick from.
- Starburst: Or Opal Fruits, depending on your age, made to make your mouth water these lovely fruit-flavoured soft treats with no artificial colours or flavours and suitable for vegetarians.
- Mints: The classic travel companion. Whether it’s a bag of smooth and creamy Murray mints, Fox’s glacier or the quintessentially British Polo mint these will go the distance when you want one sweet to last a long time!
- For a nostalgic touch to your journey: Why not try the iconic tin of dusted treats by Simpkins considered the World’s Original Travel Sweets made in Sheffield since 1921, available in a manner of varieties including Barley Sugar proven to alleviate the symptoms of Travel Sickness – and you won’t have to worry about empty sweet wrappers.
Nobody ever expects to break down, run out of petrol, get lost, have an accident or get snowed into their cars for hours on the motorway, but these things do happen. Before setting off on a long journey especially during the Winter months always make sure that:
- You have plenty of fuel.
- You’ve checked the weather reports for the area you’ll be travelling through.
- Your mobile phone is fully charged and pack an in-car charger.
- You’ve let someone know where you’re going and when you expect to arrive.
- Pack an emergency kit during the winter months: Keep a warm blanket, a large bottle of water, some emergency rations, torch, a first-aid kit.
Customer for Life: We’d love you to be our next Customer for Life. Join now! It’s FREE, no contract, no need to have used our services before. Simply enter your details to receive: 24/7 accident support, special offers and much more!