MG Cannon In The Community
We firmly believe developing a positive relationship with the local communities where we live and work helps us all. This is why as a business we were keen to volunteer and be involved with Work Wiltshire and the Government funded initiative ‘Enterprise Adviser Network’.
The Aim: The Enterprise Adviser Network, is a careers and enterprise programme which matches local schools with volunteers from local businesses to help boost employment prospects for young people, sharing knowledge and expertise helping young people gain more experience of the world of work and have meaningful encounters with employers.
- devoting at least one day per month for a minimum of a year.
- be an interviewer at mock interview days which are designed to help young people reduce their stress and anxiety about interviewing and to boost their confidence.
- attending careers advice days where employers take an active role in explaining and promoting different types of job roles and training options within their company.
- speaking to deliver careers talks and presentations to students.
- work experience placements.
The Enterprise Advisor network is based on evidence that a young person who has four or more encounters with an employer is 86% less likely to become NEET (not in education, employment or training)
One example this month was an engaging and interactive presentation given to students at Sarum Academy. Following this some students requested work experience placements when they hadn’t previously considered the automotive industry as a career choice.
Juliet Harris, Group Marketing Coordinator said “Being part of the network gives us a chance to engage with local schools and students directly, giving us an opportunity to promote the automotive industry and explain the exciting and rewarding career choices available at MG Cannon, rather than the student assuming that a mechanical or technical path is the only option. We engage students in our various apprenticeship routes, showcasing our training offer, state of the art equipment, how they will be working on the very latest cars using the latest products and technologies.”
Now established with Work Wiltshire (covering our Westbury and Salisbury sites), we are looking to partner with Dorset and Devon Network to build relationships with our Dorchester and Plymouth sites.